Monday, October 29, 2012

A Bit of This and That

Today started off with a reunion.  Cheri Fox was one of the Lost Tribe of Usha (our group of kibbutz  volunteers in the winter/spring of 1974) who was part of the reunion effort our friend Dennis (another Usha-nik)  inspired over 6 years ago.  Though we have been in touch from time to time by email, today was the first time we have seen each other since we parted in 1974.  Cheri has made her home mostly in Jerusalem since college, and we met in a coffee shop on the edge of Rehavia.  (Funny note:  she gave me elaborate directions to the place, and it turned out to be in the apartment buildings that my parents stayed in when they spent 6 months here many years ago.).  We spent a lovely couple of hours catching up.  Not all of our stories are happy ones - but we both marvelled at how we have grown over the years, raised smart strong kids, and have in our own ways made our mark on this world we live in. Hopefully for the better.

I would show you a picture of the two of us, but DAMN!  I appear to have lost my camera!  Somewhere between my hotel room and returning the rental car it disappeared.  I discovered it was gone too late to call the rental car office - I will tomorrow, and perhaps some good soul found it and turned it in.  There are always people taking pictures during the ride, so there will be photos to see and share, but I do enjoy capturing my own shots.  Oh well.... easy come, easy go (we found that particular camera in the street in Boston one evening a year of so ago).

Through the magic of Facebook, I met up with a fellow rider who was in Jerusalem and needed a ride to Shavei Tzion where the ride is gathering.  His name is Mark, and he is an anesthesiologist from Texas.  We had an interesting conversation about health care reform (and biking).  I think it will be interesting to see if there will be much talk about the elections during our ride!

Tomorrow is registration and orientation, probably a test ride or two, and perhaps a walking tour of Akko, an ancient harbor city on the Mediterranean Sea.

My family and friends are being battered by Hurricane Sandy as I write.  We have lost power in Lexington, so I cannot Skype with Robin and Molly.  I am sure they are ok, though I worry just a bit.  Looks like a Most Powerful Storm.  I hope there is not too much damage and that all are safe.

We had a wonderful dinner tonight in Akko with a large group of riders.  Good food and good company.  It's going to be a great ride.
More tomorrow.

L'hit,

Lester  

1 comment:

  1. Great update Lester. Sorry to hear Robin is without power - Cristina will check on her tomorrow. We are faring well in Watertown - very windy but so far OK.

    Ride strong!

    ReplyDelete