Friday, October 26, 2012

10 Hours is Long Time to Sit

I am not talking about my bike seat - though 10 hours on a bike would be long too.  No, I am talking about the flight from Newark to Tel Aviv.




 Though I had better seat companions than last time (readers of my blog from the last ride will remember), there is not enough benedryl in the world to get me to sleep on a plane.  I think I dozed for an hour or so.  I was struck at the mind control that the airlines exercise over us.  We sit down on a plane at 4:00 in the afternoon...and they decide it's dinner time. So they stick food in front of us.. and we eat it.  Then some time later they decide it's time for another round of complimentary beverages - and so we drink something.  Then they decide it is time for bed, so they turn out the lights... until they decide it's time for breaksfast. Come to think of it, this is not mind control, so much as it is early parenting....  I don't know where this is going, but my sleep-deprived, over fed mind seems to be on its own tangent....

Any, the handoff from plane to car when pretty well.. My bag and AND my bike both made it.  Only hitch was whether it was all going to fit in the car.  No Problem says that rental person, we can always ugrade you to a bigger car.  But not necessary. My finely attuned sense of space and perspecitve told me that the bike and my stuff would all fit if I could get it out of the box.  And indeed I was right!  The storage company came and took the box away, and off I drove  to USHA (with only the vaguest thought about how bizarre it was that all of a sudden I was driving the the Holy Land (with a British-sounding GPS no less.).  Well I made it to USHA in fine form.  After some tea and soup Avner supervised while I got my bike back together - a succesful venture with only a few spar parts left over.  In spite of a rainy afternoon, we took a short shake-down ride to make sure everything was working,... and I think so! It was fun to see the kibbutz - the old and the new.

Tomorrow we are planning on substantial ride from here up along the nothern border - the weather is supposed to turn nice.  Hope so.

Sorry no pictures today - though the scene in the garage was a sight to behold!

More later... i can't keep my eyes open.

L'hitra-ote,

Lester

No comments:

Post a Comment