Tuesday, October 9, 2012

15 Days and Counting

15 Days and Counting

In just 15 days I will be off to Eretz Yisrael for my second Hazon/Arava Institute Israel Ride.  I am excited beyond measure and am eagerly anticipating the splendor of the ride.  The excitement and anticipation are very different from my first venture in 2010.  Two years ago I was a less experienced rider, and I had never done anything like this - sure I had ridden a couple of centuries, even taken long rides a few days in a row.  But nothing like this.  I was excited to be going back to Israel - but the anticipation was mixed with trepidation.  Could I really handle all that time in the saddle?  Would my legs hold up?  Would I be too sore after a day or two to continue?  As followers of my blog from last time know, the trepidation was for naught.  The ride was spectacular and I was well prepared.

So I have approached this round a little differently.  Sure, I have trained hard - but not as obsessively.  I have learned that I can take a day or two off, and even miss a week if the weather is bad or my schedule too crazy, and I will still be ready and prepared.  My training is enhanced by the memories of the 2010 ride.  I sing the songs we sang and relive the challenges and thrill of riding in the desert as I pedal through the hills of New England.  A couple of weeks ago I rode in the Rodman Ride for Kids, supporting the Jewish Big Brothers and Big Sisters (The Rodman Ride and the Israel Ride are my two big charity rides - I am so grateful for the support of my friends and family.) This last weekend my friend and riding hero Tom Cheatham and I rode the Great River Ride in western Massachusetts - 7,400 feet of climbing over 90 miles of gorgeous fall scenery along the Westfield River.  It is the hardest, and second to Israel, the most beautiful ride I have ever done (this was also a reprise. Tom and I did it a few years ago.)   I know now that I can handle the most challenging hills we will climb in Israel, if I just take my time (It's a Ride, not a Race!).  Here is an experiment.  Since I am hoping to post my rides from this neat iPhone app I have - there is the report of Sunday's ride:  http://bit.ly/LDB-GRR .  Check it out.

I wrote last time of the sources of inspiration that are helping to drive my training.  I am pleased to report that the friends about whom I wrote who have been waging battles far greater than any I have encountered are continuing in their recoveries.  I am more thrilled than I can tell you that David Eisenberg, who last spring dared not even think about riding, will be returning for his umpteenth Israel Ride, having been deemed healthy and strong enough for the challenge.  I could not imagine a more powerful inspiration and role model for taking an important cause and making it part of your soul.

There will be a few more rides before I go, but I am now thinking about what to pack and the adventure of taking my bike apart for the trip.  Not sure whether I will get another posting up before I go.  Check back soon

L'hitra-ote,

Lester



No comments:

Post a Comment