Friday, October 15, 2010

Floating in a tin can....





Ok, El Al is known for packing ‘em in, so I expected a crowded flight. But it was ok. I had an aisle seat, I could get up and walk around…. Until the Lady showed up. Old, groaning, kinda large, not moving too well, doesn’t speak English (or Hebrew) -  Russian or Ukraine, I think, but it is clear she wants my aisle seat… and I don’t think she could make it into the middle if she tried, so the good scout that I am, I move over to the window,,, until the guy who had that seat shows up, he sizes up the situation immediately and it is clear he is not such a scout, so I am stuck in the middle… I hope I don’t have to get up to pee.. Did I mention that she smells? Oh good, here comes the flight attendant with drinks.

3 hours later. One glass of wine was not enough. Did I mention that she only speaks Russian?? And she thinks I do too. She ate with her fingers. And the young woman across the aisle is traveling with a dog… a real dog… and he’s yelping. There is a cute toddler in front of me… we’ve been playing finger games,,, when she’s not crying. I can’t get to my backpack (which is over the seat with the dog) to get the benadryl I had planned to take to put me to sleep.

8 hours later. The Lady finally got up. I got to stretch. I think her son is sitting behind us. Tell me why he did not trap himself in here?  He had no problem asking me to give up my seat for her - why not just switch with me? I think I answered my own question. Who needs sleep?? We’re going to Israel!

10 hours later. I actually think I dozed for an hour, WE HAVE ARRIVED. Good news: SO HAS MY BIKE!!!! (another good omen), the meet up in the airport was fine - both from the ride and my cousins, I am at their home in Jerusalem.

It is wonderful to be here, though I have not really had time to think about it too much.  More reflections after I have a chance to settle in.

L’hitraot
Lester

No comments:

Post a Comment