Wednesday, October 27, 2010

EILAT!!!!!!!!!! (sorry for the late post)



10/25: Morning at Kibbutz Kutera dawned clear and crisp.  The moon has been full, and it was still out over the mountains as the sun rose.  A vision of grandeur among grand visions.  A little bit more about Kutera before we move on.  I spoke at dinner with one of the founding members. The kibbutz was founded in the early 1970’s by a group of young American Jews who were making aliyah. They started out as a traditional agricultural commune (kibbutzim are communal settlements), and always had an environmental bent.  As teens growing up in the American in the 1960’s, they were involved in the peace movement in the states, so it was natural that as they developed their community, their commitment to peace and the environment would leave to the development of the Arava Institute, which now forms a large part of the kibbutz operation.  They are developing a solar energy business (did I mention that we are in the desert - where there is a lot of sun, and it is HOT?).  I think I wrote earlier that one of the students at the Institute from Jordan is planning on a joint venture between the Arava solar energy project and a company he is starting at home.

After a traditional kibbutz breakfast in the communal dining room, an important decision needs to be made.  I neglected in yesterday’s post to describe the ride into the kibbutz.  Kutera sits in the Arava - that part of the desert that borders with Jordan on one side and Egypt on the other, and it is in a valley.  If you are on top of the mountains, as we were, you have to ride down in order to get into a valley, so down we went - a 4 mile rapid descent of about 380 meters.  It was a  thrilling arrival, made better by dozens of Arava students waving us in.  But there is only one way out.  Back up the hill.  They call it the meshuga (crazy) hill.  Do I ride up, or take the bus??  What the hell, I’ll give it a try.  Maybe it was the cool morning, or maybe the inspiration of the setting, but it wasn’t so bad (took an hour, but who’s counting - after all, it’s a ride, not a race!)

The rest of the day was a series of rolling hills as we gradually climbed to a high peak on the border with Egypt for lunch - spectacular views into the Sinai.  Then the last push before the descent into Eilat, which has developed from the little backwater I remember into a bustling beach resort.  As we begin the steep ride down (two at a time), the crystal clear water comes into view.  We are almost there.

Our triumphant finish was marred by a very bad crash.  One rider lost control of his bike on the way down and flipped over his handle bars.  He was seriously injured, and is in our prayers.  Though our pride at having finished this remarkable ride is tinged with sadness over our friend’s injuries, we are still in a festive mood, and there is much celebration.  For me, an extra special ending, as Robin is waiting at the end, cheering us in.  I could hear her cheers before I could see her, and there she was at the last turn before the beach.  What a treat!!!

But there is also work to be done.  Bikes have to disassembled and packed for the trip home (reverse of the scene in Jerusalem).  You might think that this would feel sad as we face the end of this extraordinary experience, but the spirit of the group remains as we help each other wrestle our bikes into travel boxes.  And we are tired, and most of us are ready to be off the bike seats for a while.

We had a festive dinner, which included a slide show of the photos taken along the way (there were two wonderful women on staff who are photographers).  We will be getting a CD of the show, and it will probably be on the Arava website.  I will see if I can figure out how to share it when I can.

Then the group begins to disperse.  A few folks have already left; some are leaving tomorrow.  Robin and I are going to Petra in Jordan for a two day trip, and then on to Kibbutz Usha where I spent 6 months in 1974.  Ben Simon, who has been on the ride with us was in that group, and he will be going to Petra as well.  It’ll be nice to spend some more time with him.

I have been using lots of superlatives throughout this blog.  The only problem is that the words cannot convey what has really gone on.  It has been remarkable, spectacular, striking, amazing, and more.  As the ride as ended, I know I will need some more time to reflect on the ride and what it has meant to me.  I will write a bit more as the next few days roll by (and will share the experience of Petra as well) - though I don’t know when I will have a chance to post.  And when I get home I will put together more photos that I will show as well.  I hope you will check back in from time to time.

Thank you for sharing this time with me.




L’hitraot,

Lester

3 comments:

  1. Yasher Koach!!! What an experience and an accomplishment! I've loved following your blog -- you really give your readers a feeling for the experience.

    And now it's time for some Jewish Geography. I have a cousin on Kibbutz Usha -- Nancy Parish-Plass. I think she first came there as a volunteer around the same time you volunteered. Do you know her? Please give her my regards if you see her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BARBARA--My name is Dennis Jensen and the way I know Lester is bacause he and I and NANCY were in the same group together in 1974 who went to the University of Haifa and lived and worked on Kibbutz Usha. In fact, when I went back to Israel with my daughter 3 summers ago, we stayed with Nancy for half of our month-long trip. One of the reasosn that Lester is going to Usha is to see Nancy and I believe she has arranged for Lester and Robun to stay on the kibbutz.

    LESTER--Eilat also astonished me when I was there 3 years ago. I too remembered a sleepy little town with an airforce base in the middle of it. Now the airforce base is a major airport and what was then desert disappearing into Jordan is now covered by luxury hotels.

    You've done things this week that many of us wish we could have shared. Luckily, you were able to share them with us in your Blog. Thanks. You have achieved a lot this week and have helped to do a "lot of good." Mazel Tov!

    Petra is a site that words and pictures cannot adequately describe. You'll love seeing Usha again. Though different in some ways, it is filled with memories.

    I envy you.

    Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might qualify for a new solar rebate program.
    Determine if you're qualified now!

    ReplyDelete