Thursday, November 3, 2016

The 4th Time is a Charm!

I wish I could address this post to all my faithful readers - but that would be unfair, since I have been such an unfaithful blogger.... it has been nearly two years since I have written here.  But as I prepare to embark on my 4th - yes 4th - Israel Ride, I am committed to reviving this series - at least for this trip.

I am thrilled beyond measure to be going back to Israel for this Ride.  As so many of you know, the Ride, and the causes it supports, have become very dear to me.  Especially the Arava Institute, with its vision of peace and co-existence among the peoples of the Land - rooted in the knowledge that the fragile environment that sustains all life there indeed knows no boundaries.  I am inspired by the work that goes on there everyday, and by the students and staff who have committed themselve to the joint effort of improving the conditions that foster growth - both in the soil and amongst neighbors.

And how absolutely cool is it that our team has grown to 20 riders!  Yes, there will 20 Minutemenschen and Friends of Minutemenschen (FOM) riding together this year - that's 20 out of 180 riders - we are a mighty force!  Watch for team pictures to come...

But first..... you have to pack the bike.

 I believe it is in there... and now ready to go....

So tonight, 11 of us will be on the flight from Boston to Tel Aviv.  From there we will split up and go our separate ways for a few days.  I will return to Kibbutz Usha near Haifa so I can ride a bit with my friend Avner (and hopefully visit with Nancy and others from college days when I was there).  Then on to Jerusalem to visit with family and join the rest of the Riders.  We will gather Monday and Tuesday, prepare our bikes and get ready to roll early Wednesday morning.

Words cannot adequately describe the thrill of riding through the Judean hills to the city of Asheklon and the sea.  From there we will go further south into the desert - where the riding experience is like nothing I have found elsewhere.  The experience of the Land from a bike is visceral - it comes through all the senses.  The sights, sounds, smells, touch, and even the taste of the that mystical place are vividly alive as we ride together as one.

I cannot close without once again thanking the many supporters of the Ride.  While I don't write this blog as a fundraiser, I do encourage you all to check out the ride at: www.israelride.org, and the organizations we support at www.arava.org and www.hazon.org. 

So, check back in over the next couple of weeks.  I will try to be a faithful recorder of this fantastic voyage.

l'hitra-ot

Lester


1 comment:

  1. Cmon let's see some posts! It must be only be 11 at night- plenty of time to catch us up ��

    ReplyDelete