Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Beyond Surreal

Friends,

When I wrote last night that it was surreal being here in Israel when there was such a momentous election happening in the States, I wrote with the full expectation that Hillary was going to win.  And I was thinking about the millions of voters who did not vote for her who were part of a divided country, split by fear, hatred and bigotry.  We woke up in Israel, 7 hours ahead of the eastern US, with the news full in our face and we knew that the unthinkable happened (for some of us).  What was surreal became shocking, depressing and terrifying beyond any civic experience in recent memory.  While you were still sleeping (most of you), we were riding out of Jerusalem, through the rolling Judean hills, through striking landscapes and thousands of years of history.  We had time to think and process.  The beauty of the ride was tempered by the news we were absorbing.  Everytime someone said, "How ya doing,"  we had to think about whether they were asking about the ride or our messed up heads.  By the end of the ride we were no less is shock or depressed, but perhaps a little less terrified, as we talked about the strength of our democracy and our civic institutions.  I have read Hillary's concession speech, and I understand that President Obama has spoken as well.  In defeat, their words represent the best of what we have to offer  as a light to other nations.

I really don't have it in me to describe our day today (and the internet connection is bad - so no pictures to share).  Suffice it to say that the Ride is always stunning.  It stirs all the senses and a range of emotions.  As odd a background as it was to the election, it was still beautiful.

I am sorry that I am not home with my family and friends tonight. But I am thinking of you.

Wishing all of us peace.

Lester

No comments:

Post a Comment