Saturday, November 1, 2014

The Adventure Begins!

There is no way that a long flight in economy class can be fun. But it is a necessary evil if one wants to get far away. So with my bike packed,

I have taken off for my return to Israel and the Israel Ride.  Flight was uneventful. Longer layover in Paris than I needed.  I did meet another rider on his way over.  One advantage to flying in a smaller plane, and coming in a little late on a Friday afternoon is thst there were not so many people trying to crowd through passport control.  After a short wait, and that nervous look around the baggage pick up (did the bike make it?), we cleared out of the airport.  I had to quickly slap my bike together so I could wheel it to the car rental place.  Task accomplished, but it took me 10 minutes to figure out how to get out of the parking lot.  The gate would not go up.  I finally found a guy who was working the lot.  I explained that yes, I knew where the exit was, but the gate would not go up.  "Hmmmm," he says, "must be broken."  Even in Hebrew that was obvious.  "What to do?" I ask.  "Wait until somebody comes to fix it," he helpfully answers.  Only in Israel!

Finally the thing works and I am off to Kibbutz Usha for my bi-annual reunion with my cycling friend Avner (could it possibly be 40 years since we were young students on Kibbutz?).  GPS is a wonderful thing, since it was dark, I was tired, and there are new roads all over the place.  I got there without problems, and dinner was waiting!

This morning Avner and I put the bikes on his car and drove to the Kinneret, where we went on a 40 mile ride around this wonderful body of water.  At one time it was the source of all the fresh water in the country, but Avner told me that Israel is now getting half its fresh water from desalinization.  Quite a feat!

The threat of rain caused the cancellation of the planned massive ride around the Kinneret, but we managed to miss all the rain, and made the trip ourselves!  There was still a big banner for the ride, so I can pretend.

Here we are!



There is something odd but wonderful that in a matter of hours we can be in a completely new place. And I am inspired by cycling through this land of such history and deep meaning. This is the place where I have always felt comfortable. As much as a love my life in Lexington, this Land is home.

Did I mention that there was a rainbow?


Tomorrow, off to Jerusalem to see family and prepare to ride in earnest.

L'hitraot.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Lester...Ann Landau here. I am amazed at all you have gone through and you are still doing this ride. I hope all goes well

    ReplyDelete