Thursday, November 1, 2012

This was no Great River Ride

Day 2 was a doozy!

Yesterday I mentioned that I was glad I had done the Great River Ride with Tom a couple of weeks before leaving for Israel.  And I am still glad I did it, not the least because Tom is a candidate for Mensche of the Decade.  And it is a great training ride. BUT - althought the GRR has more total feet of climbing, they are spread out over the full length of the 90 mile ride.  Today's ride promised to be a different challenge.  My worries started out last night at our briefing for the next day (a ritual of this ride).  When they asked for a show of hands of who was going to do the long ride, I expected the same 12 or so  that do it every day.  8 of us raised our hands.  uh-oh.  But the ride leaders swore we could do it, and they claimed it would be the most beautiful of the trip (I'll bet they say that to all the routes...)  Fearless - or without good judgment, I joined the group of Chaluztim (Pioneers), who I think should be renamed Mishugga-im (I leave that tranlsation to you), and we embarked on a 90 mile ride up into the Golan Heights -  within spitting distance of Syria.  The climb - 5800 feet of it, was mostly over a 12 mile stretch of continuous climbing, starting at around mile 14.  It was one of the hardest climbs I think I have ever done, and I find myself riding with a much younger group of very strong riders.  Thankfully this is a Ride and not a race - and they waited (and waited and waited) for me at the top.  Here we are:


There were actually a couple of other riders still coming up the hill.  I was not the slowest!
Of course what goes up must come down.... and the descent was a nearly 6,500 foot drop over  23 miles  from the Golan to the Kinneret (The Sea of Gallilee).  This was probably the most thrilling ride I have ever taken - the road was clear and the drop just went on and on.  We sped by glorious scenery - and could feel the weather changing as we flew down the mountians.  Please don't tell my wife or my mother how fast we went (though I did not go as fast as some of the mishuggas I was riding with!).  Sorry - no pictures of the descent - this is definitely a hands on the brakes kind of ride.

But I have gotten ahead myself.  As we rode out of our hotel this morning and made the first turn onto the road, there was this car pulled up on the shoulder and someone was out waving.  (Israelis wave at us all the time.... and honk their horns - which drives riders crazy, but they are just being friendly).  As I got close, I saw it was Avner, who drove all the way up early to give us a send off at 6:30 in the morning - and he had Hi Fives for all!  The photo is a little fuzzy, but there he is!


 And then he raced ahead and did it all over again!  Two or three times!  It was a wonderful send off.

Did I mention that we were near the Syrian border???


There are land mine signs on both sides of the road - a reminder that this remains a potentially hot border.


Oh and they have live firing ranges too:


You probably can't read this... but at least they give fair warnng!

So we rode down to the Kinneret for lunch -and the most refreshing dip into the cool fresh water... riding clothes and all!  Then back on the bikies for the last 20 miles into Beit Shan, where we will spend the night.  I gotta tell you, those last 20 miles were tough.  Tomorrow is going to be interesting....  For those who like this kind of thing - here is the map of the day.  My GPS conked out at mile 65... but the whole map is there for the clicking:  Day 2

Speaking of tomorrow - we will start our day on a bus as we ride south of Jerusalem.. (not sure where), for the day's ride into Mitzpe Ramon where we will spend shabbat.

More later.

L'hitra-ot,

Lester

No comments:

Post a Comment