Friday, November 2, 2012

The Desert is What Brings Me Back

Don't get me wrong.  The two days of riding in the north were fabulous.  Yesrterday's ride tested me and rewarded me with sights and sensations I have never experienced.  But the desert is why I came back. Of course, it is the cause that really brings me back, but there are easier ways to raise money for worthy causes.  Those of you who followed my blog last time (or who care to read back over it) know how struck I was by the experience of riding through the desert.   It is a spectacular thing - every sense is fully involved - the sights, the heat, the sounds - even the taste and the smell tell you that you are in a strange and wonderful place. Nothing that I have ever done matches this kind of all encompassing visceral experience.


What vistas!


So after yesterday's tough ride, I decided to take it down a notch and ride with the Tsofim (Scouts).  We rode about 48 miles at an easier pace.  I needed the more relaxed ride, and I truly enjoyed the extra energy I could devote to taking it all in.   Here is today's map  Tonight we are at Mitzpe Ramon, home of the Ramon Makhtesh (it's not a crater, it's a makhtesh... more on that later).  Tomorrow we do not ride, but rest on Shabbat.  This is a lovely spot to spend a restful day.

Funny shot of the day:


I hope it is an air conditioned van.

Just spoke with Robin on Skype.  We are a long distance apart.  I miss her.

L'hitra-ote

Lester

No comments:

Post a Comment