Saturday, October 20, 2018

It’s a Wrap!


October 20, 2018

Bike is packed and checked in - they say all the way through to Tel Aviv.


 
I’m pretty sure there is a bike in there!  And it fit!

It is a bit surreal sitting here in the airport.  A gate full of people off on various adventures - or non-adventures.  My riding friend Max and I are probably the only ones on the first leg of a cycling odyssey that will shortly see us crossing the desert.  At least no one looks obviously like a cyclist!  (Not that I look obviously like a cyclist!).  No helmets hanging out of bags, anyway.

There are two major challenges of this ride.  The first is consecutive days of longs rides.  I think I am ready for that, although getting on the bike on the third morning is always a bit daunting.  The other is the hills.  There are some really tough climbs on this ride.  Sure, I train in preparation.  I ride lots of miles and make sure to tackle some hills.  But 10 days or so ago, on a rainy day, I thought I would do some hard quad work - deep squats with weights, that kind of stuff. One thing is certain.  Ten days before a ride is too late to start that kind of training.  I will just have to rely on what I have built up over the season.  No speed records this year.... just get to the top.

We are heading off to a Middle East in turmoil.  From Saudi Arabia, to Syria, to the Gaza Strip, this part of the world continues to suffer from political and religious divisions that have brought so much misery.  It is no small thing that we cycle into the heart of this troubled region on a mission of peace and cooperation.  The very existence of the Arava Institute is a symbol of hope - and a vote of confidence that reasonable minds can prevail, bringing us closer to the day when our common interests unite us in triumph over that which divides us.  This is the vision that drives us - and we hope that our small contribution brings us just a little bit closer.

L’hit-ra-ot.

No comments:

Post a Comment